Angel tarot cards are beautiful. They are also becoming increasingly popular with people who like the idea of tarot but perhaps find it a little too pagan or overwhelming to learn. Angel tarot cards manage to bridge the gap between the occult and the divine. They are non threatening and comfortable; after all there are angels aplenty in the Bible – and most of them are good guys.
So what are angels exactly? Wikipedia tells us “An angel is a supernatural being or spirit found in various religions and mythologies… they are often depicted as benevolent celestial beings who act as intermediaries between Heaven and Earth, or as guardian spirits or a guiding influence. Other roles of angels include protecting and guiding human beings, and carrying out God’s tasks.”
It’s no wonder, then, that Angel tarot cards are becoming quite mainstream. Who wouldn’t want a loving and supportive message delivered by an angel?
What are the Differences Between Angel Cards and Regular Tarot Cards?
In essence, there is no difference. Readings are generally carried out in the same way and the message is interpreted. However, regular tarot cards have a distinct structure of seventy-eight cards, divided into Major and Minor Arcana. The Minor Arcana are sub-divided into four suits with sixteen court cards reigning over them. The Majors are numbered zero to twenty-one.
Depending on the deck Angel cards may be structured in the same way as regular tarot or they may be what is called an ‘oracle deck’. Oracle decks can consist of any number of cards and there is usually no structure. Often, the angel’s message in printed right on the card so that no interpretation is necessary. When using this kind of deck, you would usually only draw one card per question. That card will cover the whole issue without having to lay out a complicated spread.
Messages From the Angels
Here are some well-known Archangels and their roles. You might find all or any of these in an Angel oracle deck together with their special message to help you through your day.
- Ariel is associated with animals. His job is to care for and protect nature.
- Azrael helps people cross over from life, through death, to God.
- Chamuel is the one to call on when world events take a nasty turn. He’ll also help you reconnect with lost loved ones.
- Gabriel has many roles. He is the angel of conception, adoption, purity, resurrection, mercy, peace, communication and art.
- Haniel helps us rediscover lost healing remedies. He can also help us attain grace.
- Jeremiel is the life reviewer. When we die, he is the one who allocates us the lowly one-star, the mediocre three or the brilliant five-star review.
- Jophiel helps and encourages us to bring more beauty into our lives.
- Metatron is connected to the well-being of children.
- Michael’s task is to rid the world of fear. He will help you find your career path and guide you along it. Considered to be the leader of all the angels, he represents protection, justice and strength.
- Raguel is best known for rounding up and organizing the other angels. Call on Raguel when you need a conflict resolved.
- Raphael is best known as a healer – both physical and spiritual. He is ace when dealing with addiction.
- Raziel is the angel of knowledge. He is the expert of the universe. Ask him anything.
- Sandalphon is Metatron’s brother – they were both originally human. He will carry your message to God. He is particularly fond of music.
- Uriel is the angel of prophecy. Call him in to avert natural disaster or to help with the clean-up and healing afterwards.
- Zadkiel is great with forgiveness – he can help you forgive another, or even yourself. Do not wallow in guilt; call Zadkiel.
Angel Tarot Decks
The most well-known Angel deck is Doreen Virtue’s Angel Tarot Cards. It is structured like a tarot deck, although the cards are bigger than the standard tarot deck. It is also similar to an oracle deck in that each card displays a message. The artwork is gorgeous and the cards are of very good quality. This deck also includes dragons and unicorns. See a video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olu7m4z7LzM
The Guardian Angel Cards are also by Doreen Virtue and is another 78-card deck. It has a softer outlook than her Angel Tarot Cards and are designed for people who are wary of traditional tarot. Doreen has created many other angel-inspired decks. http://www.angeltherapy.com/index.php
The Original Angel Card set was created by Kathy Tyler and Joy Drake. These are tiny cards illustrated with an angel and a one-word message. The idea is that you put them into a soft bag, shake it and pull out your angel message for the day. Messages include ‘truth’, ‘power’ and ‘authenticity’. Created as a game, these make great prompts for journaling. https://www.innerlinks.com/
Angels of Light Cards by Diana Cooper may be a small deck but it packs a big punch in the reassurance department. A beautifully illustrated 52-card oracle deck that works by you asking a question and then drawing one card to receive your answer. http://www.dianacooper.com/
Angel Prayers Oracle Cards by the psychic, Kyle Gray. These are very hip and cool which would appeal to younger folk. “Your angels have been with you throughout your life and they understand the challenging situations of your past. They will help you release all that you no longer need so that you can find the peace and harmony you deserve in this present moment.” Each card is beautifully illustrated and carries an encouraging and uplifting message. http://www.kylegray.co.uk/oracle/
I would encourage anyone who is interested in tarot as a self-help aid, but is put off by some of its edgier imagery, to consider angel tarot cards. There are many different decks available, and you are sure to find one that resonates.
Kate. “What’s the Difference Between Tarot & Oracle Cards?” Daily Tarot Girl
“List of Archangels ~ Archangel Names.” Weblog post. Angelsbysharae