Reading Tarot cards requires both knowledge and intuition and these are skills that one can develop with use. Below is a list of steps on how to expand your capabilities in reading Tarot cards. They should help guide insight for those who are seeking it or enhancing your own individual growth.
1. Carefully choose your deck of Tarot cards. There are varying Tarot decks that use many different symbols. Some of the most commonly utilized decks are those of Rider-Waite Tarot or another similar type such as the Morgan-Greer Tarot. The most important aspect of choosing a deck is in picking one that resonates or speaks to you. So make sure to look through many of the decks on the marketplace. Read and review what evaluators are saying about personal preferences or dislikes in regards to the decks you research.
There are both popular and classic Tarot decks available. New decks are offered annually so there is a continuous supply of inventory for you to review and consider. There are also varying points of view on their popularity. Top decks to consider include:
- Rider-Waite Tarot
- Deviant Moon Tarot
- DruidCraft Tarot
- Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot
- Shadowscapes Tarot
- Tarot de Marseille Pierre Madenie 1709
- Lo Scarabeo Tarot
- Dame Fortune’s Wheel Tarot
- Osho-Zen Tarot
- Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery
- Gay Tarot
- Fey Tarot
- Golden Tarot
2. Next, you need to identify and write out your mission statement for your Tarot card reading. Be as specific as possible in detailing what it is you desire to accomplish with your Tarot relationship; this will assist you on your journey to be a reader. Knowing what you truly desire in the end will allow you to self-evaluate objectively exactly where you are at present, and the steps needed to take to attain your ultimate destination.
Look at your personal intention for the Tarot deck you choose, whether you will utilize it for the benefit of others. In any event, writing out your mission statement reiterates your objectives, which might be to enhance your own personal intuition or intensify your personal creativity or even connect with forces of a spiritual nature. Such determinants are statements for those who are identifying their personal goals.
3. Now it’s time to transfer your personal energy to your selected Tarot deck. How to do this? Be sure to personally handle your cards. Shuffle them over and over again. Place each card in the correct order:
Begin with Fool proceeding through to The World
Next following each of the suits from Ace to Ten
Lastly, order them from Page, Knight, Queen and ultimately the King
Personally touching and handling your Tarot deck will allow them to become an extension of who you are.
4. Now it’s important to understand how precisely your deck will work. There are 78 cards in a Tarot deck. There are 22 major arcana and 56 minor arcana. Your homework begins with memorizing and being capable of identifying each of these cards, in addition to giving two divinatory meanings for each of your cards.
Major arcana in Tarot
The archetypes represented in the major arcana Tarot are depictions meant to represent the stages of life and its experiences as we all move through them. They depict the course or journey of your life beginning with The Fool, which represents youth and a purity of energy in a spiritual embodiment as one moves through varying cycles and events ultimately gaining a completeness in The World or the end of our life’s journey.
Minor arcana in Tarot
The minor cards are a depiction of circumstances, emotions, occurrences and people as we engage with one another on an individual journey for The Fool. This card is a representation of occurrences all actually under the guise of each person on the planet and dictates how something can be accomplished. These minor arcana are a close association of traditional playing cards. They consist of four suits like playing cards, each one correlated with one of the four elements: Swords to Air, Pentacle to Earth, Cups to Water and Wands to Fire. In addition, included are the King, the Queen and the Knight (or the Jack) for each suit in addition to the Pages or Princesses.
Be sure to commit all 78 cards to your memory. This can be a task and will take you a little time. Perhaps claim a working partner and you can quiz each other while using the deck as a set of flash cards for your constant review.
5. Pick up a book on Tarot Card Reading. Choose well, a good Tarot book will familiarize you with the basics and will be a solid help in enabling you to become a reader of Tarot cards. Depending upon the book, it will either push you toward memorization or encourage your individual participation. Pick the one that will work best with your method of learning.
Remember not to gravitate a great deal on the book. It’s best to help you learn the cards but you also need to incorporate your own intuition with your newly acquired knowledge so to become a full fledged reader of the Tarot cards.
Consider this technique for incorporating your personal intuition into the process of your learning. Glance over each card and determine its meaning. Don’t be pressured to give the right interpretation, just respond from instinct. Also do use the book to confirm or correct yourself as your progress. This will aid you in moving away from a pure memory exercise or the concern of making a faulty choice, but will condition you to interpret readings that come from the flow of your instinct as you are individually connected with your Tarot cards, and that is your goal.